The story behind the society logo.
The logo was excavated from Site 1016 in Grimston, a face jug, unstratified (After Leah 1994, fig. 59, no. 33). This site is at Pott Row, off Ashwicken Road, Grimston, excavated 1970-1, by Keith Wade. The site yielded evidence of a number of medieval domestic buildings and kilns. There was evidence of pottery production at this location from the later 13th Century (Leah 1994, 122). The pottery sherd with the image used for the logo is dated between 1250 and 1400.
John Nicholls, a member of the Society from its earliest days, was the first to locate medieval pottery kilns (Saxo-Norman and medieval) in 1962 and 1963, off Vong Lane and on Grimston Heath.
In 2013 the society got permission from East Anglian Archaeology and David Gurney, to use the attached image as our logo; hence it is on our t-shirts!
Society Logo: Grimston Ware Face Jug, 1250-1400:
Leah, M. 1994. The Late Saxon and medieval Pottery Industry of Grimston, Norfolk: Excavations 1962-92. Dereham: East Anglian Archaeology No. 64.
The program of lectures for the next season can now be found under the 'Lectures' tab above.
Summer Visits 2019
Marshland Maritime Museum
This visit is planned to take place on Saturday 18th May starting at 10:30am.
St Mary's, Houghton
This visit is planned to take place on Saturday 7th September starting at 10:30am.
WNKLAS In The News
The society has been in the local Newspapers recently in coverage of the conference to celebrate our 50year anniversary and also the presentation to John Smallwood one of the founders.
King John's Treasure
The society's investigation of a local farm contributed to a programme made for US television as part of the Expidition Unknown series. This systematic survey of an area that was a likely route for the Royal Treasure was also the subject of a recent lecture evening.